Adventures with Shakespeare!
Story board of a project that we did for Pop-up Globe's production of Henry V designed by Bob Capocci, who did some amazing hand coloured sketches of the Nobles & soldiers for our reference.There are no tabards from 1415 to look at, so I'm also referencing film, screen and stage, and medieval drawings.
Designed the images, aligned the repeats and registrations, then the transparencies and screens were done for us by CCG industries just before the X-mas break (THANK YOU!)
The hand dyed velvet panels took about 9 days of constant washing, boiling, rinsing, drying and pressing- we were up to our necks in boiling water, salt and used around 80 boxes of dye. This is just the blue...
Fabric panels then had to be glued onto boards in order to hold the velvet in place for proper registration. Screen printing gold lions and fleur de lis required 2 layers of gold ink, as the cotton velvet would soak it up like a sponge on the first layer, then on the 2nd layer of gold would sit on top of the first layer- and then the black outline was the 3rd layer.
The whole job took around 6 weeks to complete from start to finish (with running back and forth to the Globe workroom to finish cutting jobs for other costumes) definitely well worth all the effort!
Duke of York and Exeter were old school so they have a smaller repeating Fleur de lis, a screen was made specifically for just the 2 tabards.
The French herald Montjoy, and 5 french soldiers have a full large repeating fleur de lis.
Alice's Adventures Underground May 30 2015
Follies in virtual 3D animation August 05 2014
Current screenprint ideas made in virtual 3D for second life!
An alphabet of rarely spoken words. November 26 2013
- Abderian: Given to incessant or idiotic laughter
- Batrachophagous: One who eats frogs
- Colposinquanonia: Estimating a woman's beauty based on her chest
- Dippoldism: The act of beating or whipping school children
- Exsibilation: The collective hisses of a disapproving audience
- Floccinaucinihilipilification: An estimation of something as worthless
- Gargalesthesia: The sensation caused by tickling
- Hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian: Pertaining to extremely long words
- Inaniloquent: Speaking foolishly or saying silly things
- Jaunce: To prance
- Kyphorrhinos: Having a nose with a bump in it
- Lygerastia: The condition of one who is only amorous when the lights are out
- Mallemaroking: The carousing of seamen on board Greenland whaling ships
- Nudiustertian: Pertaining to the day before yesterday
- Overmorrow: Pertaining to the day after tomorrow
- Pyknic: Short and fat
- Qualtagh: The first person you see after leaving your house
- Runcation: The act of weeding
- Scolecophagous: One who eats worms
- Tarantism: Mania characterized by an uncontrollable impulse to dance
- Ultracrepidarian: Of one who speaks or offers opinions on matters beyond their knowledge
- Ventripotent: Big-bellied, gluttonous
- Witzelsucht: A feeble attempt at humor
- Xenobombulate: To malinger
- Yclept: By the name of; called
- Zenzizenzizenzic: A number raised to the eighth power